DEPARTMENT OF HISTORY SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION
DEADLINE: March 1, 2019
What scholarships are available? (All awards cover full tuition for one semester.)
You can apply for all of the scholarships using this application, but you will only be considered for the scholarships for which you qualify.
- James B. Allen Scholarship in History (GPA 3.3 or higher). Candidates will be judged on academic merit, character, leadership, financial need, and the role they envision history playing in their lives.
- Arthur Becker Endowed Scholarship (emphasis on American Civil War; financial need)
- Mark Earl Brotherson Memorial Scholarship (GPA 3.3 or higher; financial need)
- DeLamar and Mary W. Jensen Scholarship in Early Modern European History (emphasis on 15th-18th Century European History; financial need)
- Mary Kathleen McKay Scholarship (GPA 3.0 or higher, Family History major and employee at the Center for Family History and Genealogy). This is a full-tuition scholarship for both Fall and Winter semesters.
- Minority Student Scholarship (awarded each year to a full-time BYU day student in the History, History Teaching, or Family History majors who comes from [and identifies as a member of] an under-represented ethnic group at BYU. Candidates will be judged upon their academic merit, character, leadership, financial need, and the role they envision history playing in their lives based upon a one page essay describing the applicant’s background and future education goals)
- William J. Snow Award for Excellence in Western American or Mormon History (senior with an emphasis in Western American or Mormon History; applicants must submit a writing sample such as a research paper)
- National Scholarships, Fellowships, and Programs
- William Ingersoll Scholarship (GPA 3.0 or higher, Family History major). This is a full-tuition scholarship for both Fall and Winter semesters.
Who should apply?
Full-time undergraduate students who have declared a history, family history, or history teaching major. Previous scholarship recipients are invited to reapply.
Who should not apply?
Part-time students may not apply. Scholarships require full-time status. University policy states that undergraduates must carry at least 14 hours to be eligible for scholarship assistance in fall/winter; for spring/summer terms undergraduates must carry at least 6 hours.
How do I apply?
Fill out BYU’s Comprehensive Scholarship Application at Route Y>School>My Financial Center>Apply for Scholarship by March 1st.
Print, fill out and sign the Department of History Scholarship Application and return it to the History Department Office (2130 JFSB) along with all supporting documentation.
What if I have a question?
Call (801) 422-4335 or email firstname.lastname@example.org